Sunday 17 January 2010

Oklahoma - How I made cornbread


I must admit that this isn't the first time I've ever made Cornbread, as it's a recipe I've used many times before. 

Nevertheless, I thought I would include it in this blog, as it's such a staple from the mid-West US.  I've made it a little bit spicier than usual by adding chillies and my recipe was inspired by http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/

First to start with the ingredients: 


200 g of Plain Flour
150 g of Corn Flour (that's Cornmeal to my US readers!)
2 tea spoons of Baking Powder
40 g of butter
A good amount of grated cheese
2 eggs
2 green chillies (or red, but green looks better)
150 ml of milk, more or less

Prepare the cheese, chillies and eggs, sieve the two types of flour into a bowl





Mix the Flour, Baking Powder, Chillies and Cheese together in one bowl and the eggs, milk and (melted) butter in another - then combine them together and mix gently

You end up with a fairly sticky dough, although you can add more liquid to this according to taste, I think I'll up the quantity of milk next time, as I like my bread kind of fluffy!

Once, you've mixed it together, pour it into a container (bread tin or cake tin) and pop it into a pre-heated oven (200 degrees) for 30/40 minutes


Easy-peasy - the result is a very yummy bread that will impress the whole family - I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it!!


Image credits

All photos were taken by me, please feel free to copy and use them within the terms of the Creative Commons License, including accreditation and a link to my blog :-)

No comments: